Reviews and occasional notes on classical music

Reviews and occasional notes on classical music

"Music, both vocall and instrumental, so good, so delectable, so rare, so admirable, so super excellent, that it did even ravish and stupifie all those strangers that never heard the like." - Thomas Coryat, after hearing 3 hours of music at the Scuola di San Rocco in Venice, 1608.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Jean-Fery Rebel or Bernard Herrmann?

Back in November 2015 I wrote a review of an excellent CD by Tempesta di Mare of music by Lully, Marais and Rebel, which I liked very much. I commented on the fact that Le Chaos by Rebel sounded a lot like the beginning of Bernard Herrmann’s score to Taxi Driver.  Now that I have access to Spotify, I'll post the two pieces here, and ask you what you think.

So here is the Rebel (sorry, the Tempesta di Mare version isn't on Spotify):




And here's the Hermann:



What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment